ListWise

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Winter Hiatus

An anonymous blog reader pokes their head in the virtual front door of The Petch House.

Knock, knock, anybody home? Greg, are you there?”

They wander in to the foyer while cautiously looking around for signs of life. The house is frigid and seems deserted. Again they call out, “Greg, is everything alright?”. They can faintly hear singing coming from behind the closed pocket doors leading to the parlor. It sounds like the TV.

They push open the doors to see me on the couch under a blanket. There is a half eaten box of Oreo’s and an empty bottle of wine on the coffee table. On the TV is season 6, episode 7 of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It is the musical episode, "Once More With Feeling". I’m asleep under the blanket.

They tip-toe across the parlor and gently rock my shoulder. “Greg, are you alive? Is everything OK?”. I don’t move so they rock me harder. Finally I come to. I hear the singing, sit up on the couch, and reach for the remote to turn up the volume, pretty much ignoring the person standing there. Again they ask, “Greg, is everything alright?” I ignore the question and only reply, “This is a great episode. I love this musical episode, don’t you?”

{Singing on the TV}
(Buffy)I was always brave and kind of righteous,
Now I find I'm wa - vering.
Crawl out of your grave, ya find this fight
Just doesn't mean a thing
(Henchman) She ain't got that swing.
(Buffy) -pause- Thanks for noticing.
(Demon & Henchmen) She does pretty well with fiends from Hell
But lately we can tell
That she's just going through the motions
Faking it somehow.
(Demon) She's not even half the girl she...owww!

(Buffy) Will I stay this way forever?
Sleepwalk through my life's endeavor.
(Handsome Young Man) How can I repay - (Buffy) Whatever!
(Buffy) I don't want to b - e
Going through the motions,
Losing all my drive.
I can't even see
If this is really me
And I just want to b - e a - live.

The blog reader asks, “Greg, can I get you anything? How’s work going on….”. I look up at them and cut them off in mid-sentence, “Shhhh! TV”. I lay back down on the couch and pull the blanket back over me while I sing along, “I don’t want to b – e going through the motions, losing all my drive. I can’t even see, if this is really me, and I just want to b – e a – live”.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

you one funny guy.

hope they're double stuf.

John said...

Great episode, easily one of the best. And, I know the feeling.

priscilla said...

welcome back

Shane said...

Hah, not quite what I had in mind... but at least we know you're alive ;)

Unknown said...

I love the musical episode. Save me an Oreo, ok?

StuccoHouse said...

There is whole thread over on OHW regarding your absence ;-) Have a nice long nap. You deserve it.

Jayne said...

You're back! And funny as ever! Oreos and wine--really?! That's a pairing my chef friend hasn't thought of. Hee hee. Have a nice long nap in between Buffy episodes; you deserve it.

Al said...

Well now this is just cruel.

Mark said...

Did you see your shadow as you typed this? Do we get six more weeks of Silence? Enjoy your rest!!

Bones said...

I'm sorry you're bummed out, but when that mood descends, it's nice to share it with Buffy. She understands.

Jen said...

That is me too, without Buffy, and the Oreos. I have a cup of hot tea and the history chanel. The dog looks at me weird.

Boolysteed said...

First law of motion. An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Sir Isaac Newton c.1640 The law of inertia. Greg, you are sorely missed!

Sandy said...

So glad all is well and you are just taking a well-deserved hibernation... uh, I mean rest.

Triton said...

I met joss whedon once! when i was at anime expo in LA last year he was in the same hotel (weston bonaventure) as me and my friends. i was wearing a hat with fox ears on it and he called my fox ears sexy, and my friend bill hugged him. the entire situation was hilarious as it all occured in a packed elevator. very surreal lol

Greg said...

A surreal experience with Joss Whedon sounds just about right. I have fond memories of the LA Bonaventure myself. Most include one too many strawberry daiquiris.

p said...

"Things used to be pretty simple. A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills." -- Angel

Greg said...

A 100 years!?! I had my brooding skills honed long before that.

Marilyn said...

Greg:
You know what goes really well with hunkering down on the sofa and watching videos? A rescue kitten! It might brighten your winter doldrums, too.