ListWise

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Negative Space

Work is progressing slowly on the earthquake repairs. I told myself every night this week that I was going to come home after work and put on the scratch coat, but that never happened. We have been getting a lot of rain lately and it really did not seem appealing to work with cold, wet plaster after work and then have to go outside in the rain to clean up the tools after plastering.

So today I got on the scratch coat. At this point, the plan is to do the skim coat tomorrow and then start to paint next week. I have a feeling though, that I will spend most of tomorrow on the couch watching the NFL play-offs. I think it will be best to let it cure for a week anyway. It will give me more working time with the skim coat.


Secure the edges with plaster washers


This is how it looks now with both the brown and scratch coats on


A newly discovered crack above the mantle

11 comments:

Jayne said...

It must be disheartening to have to re-do all that work when you just finished the room...sigh... But then it will be beautiful again.

Greg said...

It really does suck.

Anonymous said...

I wanna cry when I see the huge areas you have to patch, and the new cracks.

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Will cracks appear even long after the quake? It probably makes you feel great to know it's something you can repair yourself and you had no major structural damage. But still, a bummer.

-Pam

Greg said...

Yea, it could have been worse. Once I make the repairs I shouldn't see any more cracks. I've never noticed cracks from basic settling of the house.

Greg

Bones said...

That was a weird one; I'm surprised at how narrow the band of destruction was. Props to you for bolting stuff to the wall!

Mountainword said...

Here in West Virginia we don't have earthquakes, but renovating a Victorian home (which I am also doing) is not easy. I feel for you, dude. Nice house by the way. Love the burl panels and the tile on the hearth. If you want, check out my blog and the house I'm renovating.

http://wordsfromthemountains.blogspot.com

Greg said...

Jason,

Yea, it's another "interesting" part of the process I could do with out.

Sarah B said...

Wow, I am mazed at what you have been through, and to see all of your hard work damaged. I am also doing up an old house (hardly any earthquakes in Tasmania) but would be very disheartened to see all my hard work down the tube. Your perspective is great though :)

Hayduke said...

I never got around to commenting on how quickly you got this fixed. Good work. I am getting close to finishing the $20K repair to my garage that nearly went into the gully. Plaster repair starts for me next week (three months after the "event" and then the chimney repair which will be the masonry challenge of my lifetime.

Greg said...

The main reason I did this so quickly was because the room had just been finished and I'm forced to walk through several times a day. If I could have just closed a door and not looked at it, it would most likely not be finished yet.