ListWise

Friday, February 24, 2006

Island Progress Report

Because I decided to do the interior shelf I ran out of stripped bevel board and had to strip another 10 pieces! Not the end of the world but it was something I hoped I wouldn't have to do. I thought maybe I would be short 3 or 4 but not 10! The important thing is I got it done. The island is completely sheathed in bevel board. I do still need to come with an new idea for the one end that will have the cabinet doors for under the sink.

The next step for woodworking would be to put the bottom in where the shelf and sink will be. Before I do that, though, I need to run electric and plumbing, so that gets moved to the top of the list. Here’s where I’m at.

4 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Greg, I can't tell you how fabulous the island looks so far! You do gorgeous work! What color are you planning on painting it?

Did you also make the cabinet in the photo? I noticed that the feet are similar...I love it!

Keep up the good work!

Greg said...

Hi Kim and thanks. I will paint the island the same Honied White as the rest of the cabinets. There will be green cast iron brackets under the cantilevered counter. Although I didn’t make the other cabinet in the picture I did add the feet and cornice. Both sets of feet came from Van Dykes Restorers. That cabinet came out of the 1922 addition I removed from the house. All the wood for the island came out of the addition as well. The link below is to the cabinets I built.

http://windsweptsoftware.com/myhouse/ltrim1.jpg

Jocelyn said...

Hey Greg- your island is looking really good. I especially like the feet and how you are making all your pieces "furniture-like".