ListWise

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Christmas At The Carson Shack

Some years it seems like there is a party to go to every other night of the week during the 2 weeks preceding Christmas, and other years it is just one or two. If the truth be told, I’m not much of a party person. I enjoy smaller gatherings. Still, it is nice to join the crowd now and then. So far, I will only be attending just two Christmas parties this year. Whew!



One party will be at The Carson Shack just down the street from me. I found these photos on-line a few days ago. The photo above is from 1902, but the interior shots below are 1960. The place still looks pretty much just like the pictures. These are from Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record at the Library of Congress.

I’ve posted shots of this place before, but I never get tired of looking at it. This is the first time for some interior shots. At the highest resolution a single photo is a 17MB download.



































15 comments:

kathy said...

Wow! The housepainter in me cringes at the detail...

Happy holidays.

StuccoHouse said...

O. M. G.

Greg said...

O. M. G.

I know. They just went Over-The-Top to the Nth degree.

Brooklyn Row House said...

Holy s***!

Jennifer said...

That is so neat. Wouldn't you just hate to be the one stripping the woodwork if it needed it!

Becky said...

Do you think Santa could fit that in the old sleigh or are Tim and I going to have to move to Eureka because that puppy is what I want for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I just love that old shack. I so wish I lived in it. Even the b/w interior photos are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! I have a link (probably from one of your posts) that has color interior photos. The beautimous wood and stained glass entrance hall pic is my pc wallpaper. Please drool over that wood for me while you are at the party; you lucky dog.

Rose said...

Very cool.

Anonymous said...

What on earth are you going to wear? I would suggest a tux, at least. Just don't drool on it while your looking at the house.

Muskego Jeff said...

Echoing what has already been said:

Oh. My. God.

Anonymous said...

...while you're looking...

I hate typos that make me look dumb.

Anonymous said...

We will have to talk more about this on the night of the "party", but I found these fascinating, and haven never seen these before. One thing that is apparent is that it was furnished more sparsely when these photos were taken. Great shots. Thanks for sharing them.

Greg said...

Ron,

I ran in to Mike and Renee last week and mentioned the pictures to them. Renee thought that 1960 was before the Ingomar renovations and suggested that the place must have looked bad in the pictures. I’m wondering if this was shortly after some major renovations and that is why it looks kind of empty. Maybe that carpeting was just put in.

Anonymous said...

that place is out of hand

Anonymous said...

Do you need a date?

Marilyn