ListWise

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Finished Product





It is grouted and ready to go. I ended up going with the antique white, un-sanded grout. The main reason for choosing that grout color and type was because I had a half of box of it in the garage. I think it was a good choice, regardless. There could be some issues with soot down the road, but that’s down the road. Besides, the only real grout lines are around the large green tiles.

Next I’ll shellac the woodwork and then finish the floor. Really though, my brain has moved past both of those projects. I’ve been giving serious thought to furniture. I decided long ago that I would not be doing a Victorian restoration. If I had the money I would just go to the Ethan Allen web site and shop ‘till my clicking finger broke off.

Since that won’t be happening, I’m in a bit of a quandary. To be honest, I’m not sure how long I will be living here. Do I buy a bunch of nice furniture now, only to end up selling it used and at a big loss in the not too distant future? I’m really not sure.

Of course, there is no real hurry. It is not like I need to pack the room with furniture tomorrow. I do have a few pieces, as it is. The only issue with time is that I was planning on having a little coming out party for the dining room to show it off to friends and co-workers. Can I consider the room “finished” if it is not properly furnished.

Inquiring minds want to know.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finish the floor and consider it done. Use whatever pieces of furniture you already have. Your company isn't going to be as interested in the furnishings as they are in the transformation that you've made to the walls, floor, cabinetry, etc.

Greg said...

That is the way I'm leaning.

amanda said...

If there is a piece you need, i.e. a dining room table or something, just buy a piece from the 30s or 40s inexpensively at an antique store or auction. We typically do this when we need something but don't want to make a huge investment. It beats IKEA and is usually cheaper.

Greg said...

Amanda,

Agreed. That is one of the reasons it will take longer. In this area (small) there is not always a lot to chose from. I'm on Craig's List on an hourly basis now.

NV said...

You've finished the RESTORATION. Decorating is a whole 'nother animal. :-) And you don't always have to restore to decorate, so furniture is a minor detail at this point.

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Katherine said...

Something tells me that you will battle with your perfectionist side right up to the moment that your colleagues and friends ring the doorbell. So just accept that and have a drink.

I find most of my furniture through factory ends stores and through junk shop/antique stores in the area. Spend 1//4 of what you would spend on Ethan Allen, and you won't mind getting rid of it.

Kathy from NJ said...

I've been going to a lot of estate sales (estatesales.net) and am amazed at the price of BEAUTIFUL furniture. In our area often the "moving" sales are really foreclosures and the people can't take all their furniture back to the parents' house.

But I agree with 3beards - your friends & family will be there to look at the work you did and I'm sure they'd be happy to eat off a 4x8 sheet of plywood thrown over two sawhorses.

Greg said...

I've lived in other places, and I know what you're talking about. You see, the problem is, this area is just too small for me to try and fill the house with "great finds" at estate sales and small shops, unless I'm willing to wait a long time.

I'm not saying there aren't the deals to be had, but you need to understand that Eureka is "The Big City" in the county and there are maybe 35,000 people here. The selection is limited. There are maybe 4 stores in the county that have quality used items and when an estate sales does happen the same 10 people - collectors and shop owners - show up when the doors open. I'm too busy to try and compete with that.

Kathy from NJ said...

After I posted my comment I did a little research - north Jersey is very highly populated - last weekend there were 17 estate sales in my area just on estatesales.net, there are usually additional ones on craiglist. Even in the SF area of CA, there is only one listed on es.net. And because there are so many here the prices are dirt cheap. Especially when a heirs really just want the house emptied.

Anonymous said...

you're going to be moving?????

Greg said...

You just never know what's going to happen.