ListWise

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Write-up: Check

My computer crossed the last “T” and dotted the last “I”, and with that the write-up for the National Register Nomination is done. I want to formally thank Alicia – a Tenured Professor, no less – for helping with the editing and proofreading. I feel so much better about the whole thing after that.

Thank you, Alicia – if that is your real name.

The entire write-up has 4 parts to it. The first part is the basic application. This is the fundamental information about the location and ownership of the house, who prepared the nomination packet, and under what category it is being nominated. The hardest part about that was finding the houses Northing and Easting location. I’m not sure why they don’t just use longitude and latitude. I also must supply a USGS topographical map with the location of the property marked on it.

After that is the detailed description of the house. This is called the Descriptive Narrative and it is basically a detailed description of the property using excepted architectural terms. Then there is the Statement of Significance. This is where you plead your case about why the house deserves to be on the Register. I’m trying to add both my house and the 1926 Mission Revival garage structure to the Register. I’m basing my case on the high style of the architecture, and the significance of Thomas Petch to the early development of the city. The last section is the bibliography, which I finished today.

Next, I need to get the pictures squared away, and after that I can submit the application. If everything goes perfect, I can expect the process to take 6 months. If everything doesn’t go perfect, then who knows. I don’t expect things to go perfect.


In the mean time, here are a few more confirmed and suspected Mowry houses. Enjoy.



I feel good about this one. It is almost identical to a Mowry I street house. It is freshly painted. Very colorful. It is a little too wild for me, but some do like this type of paint job. At least it is being cared for.


This one has a lot of potential. The detail in the barge board, and other trim work is very similar to other confirmed Mowry houses.


This one has a front porch that is very similar to mine, and even closer to 739 K Street. It also has the sunbusts over the windows just like mine, and it has the gable decoration exactly like 739 K Street. I've always loved this house.


This one is next door to 739 K Street. They really don't have a lot in common, other than the general massing of the structures. This is another one of those that just smells like a Mowry house. Unfortunately this house has been horribly butchered. As with 739 K Street, the insides are gone, and they both have those hideous additions on the front.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

the very last house I love the front windows. Shame the add on is there.

Anonymous said...

The last 10 days have been eye candy heaven. Thanks Greg. Today's pink house looks very much like Thursday's blue house. At first I thought you had slipped in pictures of a before and after the paint job.

Rose said...

Thought you might like this
(shots of a house set to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's 'Our House") reminds me of some of your shots.

Greg said...

Norma,

Yea, it is a shame what they did to it. That is a great front window. That house and the one to the left were connected together and turned in to a convalescent home some time ago. They are now rooms for rent and not the best rooms in the city, if you know what I mean.

HPH,

This strong similarity between houses is what makes it easy to spot the Mowry houses. It seems like he had 4 or 5 basic plans and everything is just sort of a variation on a theme.

Rose,

Wow. What else is there to say. The inside is stunning and the shots in the snow are great.

Monica... That One Girl said...

Hey Greg-
I'm not sure if you saw the issue of Restore & Preserve in the Times-Standard, about Hillsdale Street. It was really interesting. Of course, I'm little biased, as I was living in one of those (non-Victorian) homes for 5 1/2 years... and I got quoted. haha.

Anyway, I just found the link for it, and it might give you some insight on some of those homes you think might be Mowry's.

Congrats on being done with your paper work, BTW.
~Monica~

Greg said...

Monica,

Yes, I have a copy of that. That was one of the better ones, I thought. Well, except for the R&P where they wrote about The Petch House. The title of that one was something like, "The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of a Queen"

Al said...

There must have been a few writing women with A-l- names that offered to edit because I never heard from you! :\

Greg said...

Al,

I couldn't get a hold of you. When I click on your name to get your email address all I get is "Profile not available". I think you must make it public so people can see it.

I left you a message at the bottom of the post titled: Eugene Mowry: A Retrospective. After a week or so of not hearing from you I gave Alicia a crack at it. If it is any consolation, she did a very good job.

At any rate, thanks for the offer. I felt better about the whole process knowing I was going to have a 3rd party look at it before I sent it in.

Al said...

Oh! I totally missed it. I'm so sorry!! Thank you for letting me know. Either way I'm just thrilled you were able to complete your application! Best of luck to you.