ListWise

Monday, March 31, 2008

Feeling A Little Blue

The sanding in the laundry room is going much better than I thought it would. I decided to forgo the brute force of a random orbital sander and just use a finish sander with 100 grit. I just need to get the loose stuff off, which there isn’t much, and any dirt.

Tonight after work I was able to get two walls sanded down. I’m not sure what to do about the water heater, though. That thing is just going to be in the way for the rest of this project. I’m not willing to go without hot water mid-week, so I’ll just need to work around it for as long as I can. I can see that there will be no hot water available this weekend. I’m going to warn everyone now that my last bath will be Friday morning and after that it will be my own natural musk sent until Monday at the earliest.

I swung by Sherwin Williams on lunch and picked out some paint chips. If I want to paint this weekend while the water heater is un-hooked I need to seriously start thinking now about a color. I’m still leaning towards the lighter blue shades and I’ve sort of settled on Sherwin Williams Hinting Blue – 6519. That may end up seeming too gray come Friday, so I may also go with Tradewind – 6218 or Balmy – 6512. (User Sherwin Williams Color Visualizer to see the colors) I want to buy paint on Thursday. Once the water heater disconnected, time will be of the essence. The last thing I want is to be waiting behind a bunch of people Saturday morning trying to buy paint.

So I need to sand two more walls and the ceiling. Wipe everything down. Put on a coat of primer. Then caulk any unsightly wide seams. Then be ready to paint Saturday morning. That is very ambitious, and I’ll be amazed if it actually happens.

Now that I think about it, I haven’t decided on a trim color, or if there will even be a trim color. I hate picking colors.

9 comments:

Larry said...

Sounds like you're gearing up for some fun! I'll be thinking of you while I sand my walls tomorrow.

If you would, go to my blog, I have something for you there.

kathy said...

definitely hinting blue, imho.

Anonymous said...

Love the laundry room!
Have you looked at the colors Upward, Morning Fog, and Uncertain Gray? They are little darker and have a little more punch. Of course, if it was me, I would go darker yet, with a Victorian palette, but I know you're a color virgin. lol
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I love that color visualizer. I always end up changing colors when I see the chips in the store, but it is fun to experiment there.

I think what you've done is so cool. I can't wait to see the finished product.

kingstreetfarm said...

Picking paint colors is my favorite thing to do! Ever!! Wish I were there to help. Alas, I don't know diddly about Sherwin-Williams colors, and my monitor isn't calibrated properly to really give good advice about paint colors from seeing them on the net. Actually, no one's monitor is, but that's neither here nor there.
Regardless, I quite love the idea of blue in this room, and a steely gray-blue sounds very nice. My only advice about a trim color is to make sure that it's not too blatant white--more of a creamy white would probably be nicer, especially because the beadboard gives such a lovely vintage look.
Loving this room so far! Keep up the great work.

Oh and last thing? I stunk for at least 5 days a week for over a year while we were doing the "big stuff" in our house. I think BO is a badge of honor amongst home renovators.

S and N said...

Hi Greg, I'm the one who mentioned a greyed down neutral in an earlier comment and I'm excited to see how your colour choice turns out. Just remember that colours always look more intense in larger applications, so what looks too grey in chip form may look quite blue in the whole room. I'm with King Street farm on a toned down white for the trim but keep within the same side of the colour spectrum for a harmonious look, opposite side if you want more contrast. Sorry if I'm bossy. I'm a painter in real life and can't resist. Good luck.

Greg said...

S&N,

Don't apologize. I need all the help I can get!

Ginechka said...

I love that color name moggiesten suggested: "Uncertain Gray". I think I'll make that my new screen name.

Sorry Greg, I can't offer any color advice, I usually pick my colors from the "Oooops Paint" shelf and cross my fingers. I can offer this to buy you some time to make the right color choice: hauling giant pots of boiling hot water from the stove to the tub works wonders when you can't live with your own scent.

Greg said...

Hmmm yes, the Ooops Paint. I am a sucker for a good deal, but I'm not that daring. It is mainly because I hate to do work over. If the color is hideous it will be hideous for a very long time.

As for the bath thing, well, I happen to like my own stink, and offending people has never been an issue for me, so look out world!