ListWise

Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Might Dig A Grave Tomorrow

I’m taking Mort back to the vet on Monday and I’m pretty sure it will be his last time. Despite being able to eat and drink a little, he continues to get worse. He can barely walk now, his breathing is labored, and he has a little blood coming out of his mouth. It really sucks.

When I saw the blood yesterday for the first time, I thought maybe he had some dental problems, but I opened his mouth and didn’t see anything. I also massaged the sides and under his jaw to see if there was any pain. There wasn’t. Last Monday, the vet inspected his mouth as well and didn’t find anything. The blood is an extremely small amount. It is just tiny little spots on the sheets on the morning where his mouth was. This is new.

It would be nice if it was just a bad tooth, but I’m not going to get my hopes up. That would explain the weight loss, but he never really stopped eating. For the last three days he has eaten a half to a whole can of cat food throughout the day. He never really stopped eating, he just eats a lot less, and he just keeps getting weaker.

Most of the last 48 hours has been spent laying on his side, with a rapid breath and a thousand yard stare. He may not make it to Monday.

9 comments:

We are in said...

Oh Greg, I'm so sorry. I was just wondering how your Mort was making out earlier this afternoon.I'm so sad for this news.

I guess all you can do is try to make him comfortable and loved.

Take care...

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I know there's nothing to say to make it better, but you're in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your buddy Mort. You have given Mr. Feral some really great years; it's sad that there can't be alot more. My thots are with you both.

Mark said...

That is terrible Greg. Even more so that it is so soon after your other loss. I truly hope it is a simple ailment that is easily remedied.

Your in our thoughts.

N-Pync said...

I just happened upon your blog. I'm real sorry about Mort. He sounds like a cool little guy. My guy, Mr. B. Jun, is pretty cool too. We nicknamed him, "The General," as he really rules the house. I hope Mort gets better. I just wanted to tell you I understand what you're going through. I lost my dog Mr. Bailee two years ago and get real nervous anytime any of our other animals gets sick. I'll be thinking of you.
www.shirliana.com/blog

Kathy from NJ said...

Greg, I am so sorry for you and Mort. You have been such good friends for a long time.

Sandy said...

Oh, Greg, I am in tears. I am so very sorry about Mort. You are the best thing that ever happened to that little fellow.

kathy said...

It is always so painful to lose a pet. The way I have come to understand this grief for myself is to console myself with the idea that God, or the universe, created our companion animals with shorter lifespans than our own so that we can love many of them. If Mort doesn't recover, grieve for him, certainly, but then get some more cats to love and care for. Mort would want that.

Jennifer said...

OUr sympathies for you. Losing a pet is never easy.