Sunday, June 07, 2009

Trim Marathon

I had a late invitation yesterday to a Bar-B-Q out in Freshwater. I had every intention of going, but it looked like rain in the morning, so I started in on the trim for the middle section. As it turned out, the clouds cleared around 1:00 and it turned out to be a spectacular day. By that time I was committed to the trim and there was no looking back.

The Bar-B-Q would have been nice, but now I’m glad I stuck with the trim. It took about 12 hours to get it all done, but it is done!







Before I could even start the trim I had to frame out the little door in the middle section. Then it was on to mind-numbing repetition of measure, cut, cut, router, router and install. Then the next piece. That’s if I got it right the first time. I rarely did.

Each piece took a minimum of 2 cuts on the saw and two passes on the router. If it is was off by as much as an 8th of an inch it was another cut on the saw and another pass on the router. There are 62 pieces of wood total. To make it even more interesting, I was afraid of running out. Below is all there is left from that big pile of trim I cut.





I also milled and installed the trim just under the marble. It is a two part bead and cove trim. When the fabricators came to make the template for the marble I suggested an inch and a half over-hang. I was planning on just doing a ¾-inch cove under the lip. The guy making the template told me that 2-inches is standard, so I said OK. God forbid I should not do what is standard.

For the next week after the marble was in place I cursed the 2-inch over-hang every time I saw. I was too much. It was sticking out so awkwardly. I decided he suggested 2-inches because most people do a laminate edge these days. That is were they take an additional piece of stone and glue it to the underside of the over-hang. They then finish that off and it looks like you have 4-cm thick stone when it is really only 2-cm.

In the end it worked out. I did the 2-part trim and it looks fine. All of those sleepless nights were for nothing. So now it is on to the little door in the middle section. I’m going to see if I can find the time to work on it this week and then install it next weekend. After that I will be officially done with this cabinet!

I looked back through the blog and found that I started them in September of 2008. Really, though, I first mentioned this project in November of 2005.

Three And A Half Years Ago!!!

12 comments:

Janet said...

Beautiful! Excellent work!

moggiesten said...

Norm would be envious. Nice work, Greg!

Marilyn

Al said...

This project flies so far over my head all I can say is: GREAT JOB!!

Nathan said...

It looks absolutely fantastic. Congrats!

John said...

This cabinet magnificent, great job. Congratulations.

Greg said...

Thanks everyone. Boy, I didn't think I would ever finish this thing. Of course, I ain't done yet, but it's close.

Katherine said...

It looks great, Greg, and those criss-crossy bits of trim go a very long way to adding the "aesthetic" or early Arts/Crafts element.

Sorry I have been so silent; I have been in gardening hell.

Scott said...

I don't think that I would have the patience to do work like that - beautiful!

Jayne said...

WOW!! That is absolutely gorgeous. I so admire your talent.

HPH said...

So gorgeous!

Ametha Williams said...

I love your retoration work! What a beautiful house!

BasementGal said...

Esquisite! Fabulous work!!!