ListWise

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Seventeen Down

These last four doors are the best yet. It is nice to see that I can improve with practice. They all fit the openings well. The hinges are mortised in perfectly. They were a lot of work to make, but for the most part there were no real problems.









There is just one more door to make. It will be for that small, center opening in the middle part of the cabinet. You can see the opening in the picture above, and to the left of the opening you can see the curly redwood board that I’m going to use to make the panel for it.

Before I can do that though, I need to install the marble counter and trim out the middle part. The trim will define the jamb and casing for the door, so that needs to go up first. I’m going to order the marble on Monday and there’s no telling how long that will take.

There is still plenty to keep me busy. I need glass for the upper doors. I need to build brackets and shelves for the upper cabinets. I need to mill all of the curly redwood for the trim on the middle section. There are going to be a lot of small pieces of trim for that area and they are all in odd shapes and sizes. Finally, I need to make a baseboard for the bottom. Even if I don’t get the marble for a month, I think I have enough to keep me busy.

The bast part is, I have a punch-list and the end is in sight.

8 comments:

Jayne said...

That is absolutely gorgeous. You should definitely give yourself a pat on the back; a lot of careful work went into that. The end of the project's in sight! Isn't that a good feeling?

Greg said...

The end of the project's in sight! Isn't that a good feeling?You said it!

jake said...

Wooooowwwww!!!! Nice! I showed to my wife and she said she is waiting for me to do something like this now. You've raised the bar!

HPH said...

Wow

anj said...

I've been lurking for a long time. Your restoration of this house is amazing, and this cabinet is stunning. Wow is right.

Jennifer said...

Freakin' amazing. That's what that is.

Fran and Bert said...

Hi Greg, it is amazing what you are doing! We are renovating our bathroom and under the linoleum there are 2" marble hex tiles which look exactly like the ones you salvaged from the Saloon (very cool). Some are cracked and we need to replace them. Any left over from your project?

Thanks, Bert lambo58@aol.com

Greg said...

Thanks everyone.

Fran & Bert,

I do have some of the tile left, but what is left is not in the best shape. Email me your address to petchhouse at windsweptsoftware dot come and I'll send you a sample tile.

Greg