ListWise

Monday, July 23, 2012

The 99%

No, it's not that 99%, of which, I am firmly a part of. I'm talking about those aspects of the parlor project which I am 99% finished with.

If you've ever done a project like this, you'll know what I mean when I say it is like a big puzzle. It is rare when you can completely finish something before you move on to the next thing. Sometimes this can be because you just get so sick of doing one thing for so long that you need to take a break and work on something else. Paint stripping comes to mind. Most of the times though, it is because the aspect of the project you are working on requires something else to be completed before you can put on the finishing touch.

The fireplace is 99% done. All that is left is the wood trim to be installed where the tile hearth meets the floor. That will happen after the floors are refinished, and the floors will be the last major project to be done. The fireplace mantel was refinished, new hearth tile installed, and the cast iron replaced.

The electrical just needs to have the ceiling fixtures hung and that will be finished. The fixtures themselves were purchased and rewired years ago, along with new wiring, outlets, and switches.

The plaster walls and medallions are all but done. I need to hang two new corbels, which should be arriving this week, and then paint. The plaster repair went on for a long time and the medallions I purchased years ago. The painting can't be done until I mark and measure for picture rail. Of course, I still need to choose colors.

The pocket doors are the one thing that I can say are finished. This weekend I got them hung, shellacked and the hardware installed. That needed to happen before I trimmed out the opening. I didn't want to be fooling with big, heavy doors around the newly installed trim.

The millwork needs the most work. I finished the casing, plinth and head blocks this weekend, but I still need to make and install picture rail. The little window was the last of the casing and head blocks. It had a Murphy bed nailed to it back in the twenties, so the casing was ruined. And of course, the head blocks were sawed off sometime in the eighties. They butchered these rooms over decades. I also need to install a few short runs of baseboard. I picked up the baseboard from the mill last weekend, so I may install it this weekend. I have to do some coped joints to meet existing baseboard and I am not looking forward to it.

The windows need to have the hardware installed. I have antique sash locks and lifts to put on, which are just for show because the windows don't open. I made the management decision years ago that I would leave all windows for another day. This is another job which can't be done until I paint.

After all of that I have the floors left to do. With every room, I say I'm going to bring in a professional to do the floors. I'm saying that again with this room, and I may just do it.

7 comments:

St. Blogwen said...

O. My. Goodness. Those doors are scrumptious. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The fireplace ain't half bad, either. ;-)

I know exactly what you mean about fitting in the parts of a bigger project around one another-- and turning to unrelated projects because you're bored out of your gourd stripping paint or patching plaster or whatever.

Kate H.
www.sowsearhouse.blogspot.com

Kathy from NJ said...

Greg, those doors are absolutely gorgeous. If I had those doors they would never be inside their pockets, they are too beautiful to hide.

purejuice said...

i'd like to see more pix of casings and head blocks in place, as well as before pix if any. also closeups of pocket door hardware and possibly a tutorial on installing them.
and you know me. i'm voting for vanilla walls to bring out the colors in your stained glass.

Greg said...

Oh, I have such a demanding audience.

Read The Jig Is Up for a lesson on installing pocket door hardware. I tried getting better picture of the millwork, but with everything painted in white primer, you really can't see detail. And although the color desicion has not been made yet, I am leaning back towards blue. I've leaned a way from it a few times now. Today I took all of my blue paint chips in to work and pinned them to a bulliten board in my office. Staring at them while on the phone is proving to be helpful, not to mention a few unsolicited comments from co-workers.

Greg

Jayne said...

Gorgeous pocket doors! You know, it's statements like "it had a Murphy bed nailed to it" that make me really question the sanity of some people. Why, why?!? :)

Unknown said...

Why do the windows not open, how are you going to get fresh air in the house?

Greg said...

The windows are either painted or nailed shut, or both. Fresh air is not a problem when you live only a few blocks from a bay on the coast of Northern California. Think breezy conditions and very mild weather year round. All I have to do is open one of three doors and the house is instantly refreshed.

Greg