ListWise

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Tile’s Here!….Again

The second, and hopefully last {Grrrr!} batch of tile arrived late yesterday. I’m going to wait until Saturday to finish the back wall and replace the missing tile. I’m still in full Lath Mode and I don’t want to disrupt the progress.

I’ve completed two walls, and then I have most of a third wall done. There is about a 1X5 foot section at the top of the sink wall that still needs lath. After that, I just have the door wall, and since it is mostly door, there is not a whole lot of lath to put on.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to put this stuff up in a whole house. I’m sure the guys who did the actual nailing of the lath to the wall must have gotten super fast at it. I’m sure they worked in teams, with the Master Lather doing the nailing, and the apprentices cutting and handing lath do them. There may have even been a third level of gophers who hauled lath from a delivery point outside in to the house.

Even though it’s a lot of work, I can see where a proficient team could make short work of a house. A small house could probably been done in 1 to 2 days, and a larger house in less than a week. I can also see why sheetrock became so popular with installers. I wonder if the same people who put the lath up were the ones who plastered. Were they so specialized that it was two different trades, or did one crew do everything?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admire you for rebuilding the lath and plaster walls. You are the only one I have run across in my houseblog reading that I've seen doing it. Plan on doing some lath 'n plastering of my own some day. Good luck to you!