Sunday, April 27, 2008

Way Too Much Work

The baseboards took way more time than I thought they would. I disconnected the water heater Friday night and put the first coat of poly on the floor. Then Saturday I put on a second coat and started making baseboards. They really took a long time, but mainly because I didn’t know what I was doing.

The first problem was the shank on the main bit wasn’t long enough to put the profile where it needed to be. This caused lots of delay while I reevaluated everything. I eventually got almost what I wanted, but if I could do it over I would get closer. It took 5 passes on the router with different bits to do it, but I needed to do 6. Unfortunately, the last pass that needed to be done, should have been done first. Don’t ask.

The worst part is, I didn’t finish. I still have two baseboards to put on. I decided to cope the corners instead of miter and that ain’t easy. I had never done it before, so, you know, that sort of added to the problem. The main part of the baseboard, with just the double profile on it wasn’t too bad. The cap, with the heavy Victorian millwork was difficult. I only did one today and it took several tries to get it “right”. I’m lucky I’m painting so I can fill with caulk. I’ll leave it at that.

So I have two more baseboards – with two more coped joints {Ugh!} – then I have the shoe molding and the door. Its getting there.


Anon.R.mous said...

Why didn't you use a smitty pan and why is your pop off venting where it is venting?

Honestly, you should have gone tankless!

Greg said...

Well, if by "smitty pan" you mean an overflow pan, I think they're a waste. Unless you catch a leak in the first hour or so, you not only must deal with the water heater, but now you have an over-flowing pan of water to deal with. At least that is what happened at my last house. And as for the vent, well, believe it or not, I'm not finished yet. It was about 5:00 when I got the water heater hooked back up and it was time for a shower.

I'll get to it.

Oh, and as for the tankless idea. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Anon.R.mous said...

Heh, you are to vent the pan like the pressure valve! Otherwise I could see that being a problem.

I do plan on going tankless myself, but they cost so much right now, even though I think they are cheaper to build than a tanked unit.

Keep up the good work and don't have too much fun.

mike & rachel said...

They have float switches for the pan that tie to an electric shutoff supply valve - not sure how pricey they are though. My next one will be tankless too, but since that was the only new thing in the house, it will be awhile.

Making your own molding is definitely time consuming, but you're well aware of the costs and problems with the alternative! Keep up the good work

WavGirl said...

I have been browsing your blog for a while now so I figured I should finally post a comment. The house is gorgeous and you are amazing! I don't think I've ever seen someone work so hard at fixing up a house. Keep up the good work!

Greg said...

Hey, thanks, WavGirl! It has been a wild ride.