ListWise

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rug Me

I should have thought about rugs a while ago. I just ordered three for the butler’s pantry/laundry room and they won’t arrive for more than a month! The reason I only thought about rugs today is because I’m just finishing up the floor. I think its coming out nice.

There are really just too many rugs to choose from out there. The selection goes on for days. My selection was narrowed a great deal by both price and size. As much as I love a nice Persian wool rug, the laundry room isn’t really the place for one. Size was the next big issue. I wanted 3 rugs for the two rooms. The first would cover most of the space in the butler’s pantry. Next, there would be a runner leading from the butler’s pantry in to the laundry room. Finally, the third one would be in the laundry room in front of the washer and dryer.

Few designs I found would fit all three areas and I didn’t really want to mix and match. I ended up going with the Alessandri Rug in beige from Ballard Design.

This was not my first choice, but I think it is a nice compromise. I got a 3’9”X5’9” for the butler’s pantry. A 2’6”X6’ as the runner. And then a 2’6”X4’ to go in front of the washer and dryer. Now I’ll just sit quietly every evening in a darkened room with my hands folded in my lap until they arrive.

13 comments:

Jayne said...

Very nice. Did you get the green or the beige? Sitting quietly in a darkened room with your hands folded until it arrives--you crack me up. =)

StuccoHouse said...

They will look very nice! One little trick I learned with rugs....buy a really nice pad for underneath (be sure to get one specifically for hardwood floors - not that I learned that one the hard way or anything). A thick pad makes any rug feel more luxurious and also helps them last longer.

Greg said...

Jayne,

I went with the beige. Now the waiting begins.

S,

Wise words.

Christine Thresh said...

I hope you sent for samples. I did a big rug search (stair runners) and sent for samples. I am so glad I did. Several of the rugs I was considering were "needle punched" and were awful. They were just bits of wool yarn pushed down into a glue substance and then backed with canvas. I found a woven wool rug in England.
I did a blog post about this at:
http://winnowings.blogspot.com/2008/06/stuff-wears-out.html

Kathy from NJ said...

I'm really impressed with the rugs, good choice! One of the new housebloggers

http://fulmerhouse.blogspot.com/

just wrote about rugs over hardwood - without the proper pad dirt sifts through and harms the wood.

Greg said...

Christine,

no, I didn't get samples. I already suspect it is not of the highest quality. They were fairly inexpensive for wool rugs. This is not a high-traffic area, so I hope they last more a few years.

Kathy,

Thanks, I will most likely get pads, but to be honest, it would be difficult to hurt this wood any further. To say this floor is "rustic" is being kind.

Christine@Oliver's Bungalow said...

Oh, what a lovely choice on the rugs, Greg. I'm sure they'll look great.
-Christine

Kathy from NJ said...

When the room is finished (except for cabinet) will you think about another video? Maybe start in the kitchen, go to the laundry and then into the pantry.

N-Pync said...

Greg, I agree with the whole rug pad thing, but because of slipping when you least expect it, and you'll always have to be straightening it out because it won't stay in one place. Just my .02 :)

Kathy from NJ said...

Do you ever read Brooklyn Row House blog?

http://www.brooklynrowhouse.com/

Steve does stained glass and today has a link of his site for a glass supplier. I wonder if they would be able to get you the replacement glass for your front window. I don't remember the size but remember that it's big.

Greg said...

Kathy,

I have not been following BRH's adventures, but I've seen his work before. Very nice. Even so, I am 99.9999999999999999% positive that who ever he gets his glass from would not have what I would need. Unless some new manufacturer has popped up in N. America in the last 2 years, I've already contacted who ever he uses.

Kathy from NJ said...

I hope you don't get upset with me & tell me to myob

http://www.albertstainedglass.com/

Greg said...

I'll only say that they don't have what I need. It took me all of 30 seconds at their site to see that they are not a manufacturer, they are a retailer. They list the manufacturers that work with and I've already contacted all of them. I've now gone from 99.9999999999999999% positive they don't have what I need to 100% positive.