ListWise

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Before and Almost After


A quick recap for those of you that don't keep up:



  • House built in 1895.

  • Cut up into apartments ca. 1920.

  • Kitchen was the one room really butchered.

  • Big hole in the wall was a Murphy bed.




My goal: Put it all back together. I left All The Kings Horses and All The Kings Men in my other pants so I'm doing it myself.




Big Hole



Hole Filled



Plater, Door Casing, and Wainscot Cap On




The door casing in the picture was the casing I Lucy-ed out on yesterday. To the left you can see the dumb waiter style door from my postings a few months ago ( - sigh - ). Next I'm going to build the sill and trim that out. After that I have just one small window that needs trim and then I can slather the whole room with a greasy coat of primer in perpetration for the big paint job. I still need a floor and I need to build cabinets, along with several dozen other things I can't think of right now. I'm supposed to have a party at my house in late August. Can I make it? Inquiring minds want to know.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be ready by August- I have faith! The doorway looks great. It must feel like you're so close, yet so far away. Just remember the cabinets don't need doors for the party! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Did you use old wood for the door jamb? Also, the jamb looks like it dips a little at the top left(like ours do, b/c our framing is crooked)- any way to compensate for this in old houses? That stripped trim looks great- how 'bout a close up for us strippers?

Jocelyn said...

Really great Grex. I'd like to see a closeup of the wainscotting too. It is original right? It's a big accomplishment getting all that moulding back up. I know it look a while at our house. With the way you seem to work(alot of hours) it may be possible you'll finish by then.

The slogan in my house is this: You can't push the river!

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Mr. G!

Everything is looking great!!! Love the pics! You have the patience of a saint!! I'm sure the king would be impressed! :)

Have a great day!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Oooops!!! Sorry about that! I pressed enter a little to quickly!

:D

K said...

Wow!!! Thanks for the before and after pics. It looks wonderful! If you've done this much, I bet you can get it done by August. :)

Beth said...

That looks fantastic!

Becky said...

Looks great! My bet is you'll be done.

Greg said...

Thanks for the encouragement. All of the trim is original except the wainscot cap. Everything still looks kind of rough so close-ups may not be wise at the point.

The door jamb is old, salvaged from the addition I removed. The walls are almost 7 inches thick so that saved about $100 reusing it. As to whether it is straight or crooked, it better be straight because I built it. The door that will go there still needs work (surprise, surprise), but I fitted it to the space and it seemed fine. Either way, I ain't changing it at this point.