ListWise

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Thinking Some More

Just to clarify yesterdays blog entry: I’m not loosing sleep over the corner block, but I do over my own mistakes. I think I was trying to point out that even back then they made mistakes and most of the time we don't notice them, and when we do, we consider them “character”. Perhaps I did not write that as well as I should have, or maybe I wasn’t even sure what I was writing (this is more likely), but reviewing it made me think some more.

I wonder how we will be viewed in 100 years for what we are doing now? Will this time be viewed as the Great DIY Era in American architecture or interior design? Granted, none of us invented the DIY attitude, but it seems that a lot of homeowners are doing work that is of a higher quality than what was done 30 or 40 years ago. Am I right, and if so what can we attribute it too? I think there are a number of things.

1) I grew up mainly in the suburbs. My Mom was an interior designer, and our houses always looked better than most, but we lived in Ranch style homes and I was never exposed to the great Craftsman and Victorian interiors of our past. Once I saw it, I was like, “Wow! I’m not in Kansa anymore.” I knew what I wanted, whether I could afford it or not. As it turned out I couldn’t really afford it and that is why I have the house I do and why I’ve become this hardcore DIYer.

2) The internet. I have learned soooo much on-line. Not only from fellow bloggers, but from the great forums and other sites that just post information about how to tile and put up crown molding. True, there were always books on the subjects, but the internet has made it much more accessible, at least for me.

3) Cable shows. This doesn’t really apply to me because for most of my life I’ve lived without cable, and the rest of the time I’ve only had basic cable, but I’ve heard of all the shows, and they have to have had an impact.

4) The Big Box home centers. Again, this one doesn’t apply to me because I’ve never been in one, but I hear everyone go one and on about the selection, so this must have been an impact as well.


So how will we be viewed? Will we be included with the Arts & Crafts Movement of the early 20th Century and the Aesthetics Movement of the late 19th Century, or will it be something else?

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

You pose a question too big for my tired brain this week. I think about that too. I hope and believe that older restored homes will find their destiny with future owners that treasure them as we have!

Derek said...

There's no way to make sure a house will be kept original once it's sold. I think the increased value of a restored house will keep developers and people that would put vinyl siding on etc. away. If it's not maintained, who knows. I restored a car, and then sold it, you just have to let go once it's sold.

merideth said...

i think there's value in rejuvenating (not necessarily restoring) an old home thoughtfully. As DIYers i think that desire to be thoughtful in the work we do on our homes is part of what drives us to DIY to begin with.

The more things we do though, and the more i read/watch/shop, the more i recognize popular techniques and materials. So i'm certain that, at least outside the old house community, our grandkids will be able to look back and say "oh that's those slate home depot tiles from the early 2000s. DIYers put those in all over the place when i was a kid."