ListWise

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

That 70s Color


Before I stripped off the last of it, I thought I would get a shot of this lovely orange paint that was on the wainscoting in the kitchen. I felt like I was back in 1975 just looking at it. In fact, I think I was getting a contact buzz as I was stripping it. Hmmm, that could have been from those healthful lead paint fumes. Either way, it is gone and I have that inflated sense of self esteem that one normally only gets from alcohol or hand guns! I have 2 windows left to strip and I can put a coat of primer on the whole room. Then all the little flaws will be more visible and my self esteem will be back where it’s supposed to be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grex: wow! That is a strange color to find whilst stripping. I have been doing alot of stripping around here and find only the boring 50's greens and original creams, bright YELLOW in my kitchen and a navy stratum in the living room (probably its 70's incarnation). Is stripping addictive or is it the chemicals?

Jocelyn said...

I am pretty sure I've "caught a buzz" off of the fumes from stripping. It's nice to have something dull the pain of this tedious task. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Grex! I remember that color! I think my mother had it for a countertop when I was a kid! :)

Thanks for the great idea about the corner hutch! No, it doesn't appear to have had doors at any time, but that doesn't mean I couldn't add them, huh?! The decorative moulding is a seperate piece, so that's a definite possibility! Now...about those drawers... :(

Maria

merideth said...

what was up with painting the woodwork bright colors? that had to have been some crazy fad than ran through several decades...this old victorian we had in Santa Cruz had BRIGHT yellow trim and mouldings...it was not pretty

Deb said...

all the trim at some point in our house was pink.... and white... and green... and white... and brown... and white....

Jess said...

Ah ha! I had the matching orange hard-cider-jug / baby-food-pea-green-marmalade-jar wallpaper in my kitchen until recently... Sure you don't want a few strips?

;-)