ListWise

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Sticker Shock

I guess I should expect it. It is easy not to think about every cost associated with fixing up a room. I just didn’t think the paint would be that much. I went with the Sherwin Williams Majolica Green in Latex Satin for the walls, and Honied White in Oil Semi-Glass for the trim. I got the Pro Classic Enamel which is normally around $41.00 a gallon but it was on sale for $31.00 a gallon, so it could have been worse. I’m terrible at cleaning and taking care of paint brushes so it seems like I have to buy new ones every time I paint, and this was no exception.

Here is what I ended up buying

3 gallons of primer (I can return un-opened gallons),
2 gallons of each color of paint
2 trim brushes
1 bundle of 3 roller covers
4 Tack Cloths
1 bundle of 5 tray liners
1 bundle of latex gloves

Out the door: $249.17

As you may recall from earlier blog entries I have been thinking about paint for the past few weeks. For some reason I had this number in my head of $150.00. I’m not sure exactly where I came up with the number, but when ever I thought about paint I figured $150.00. I wonder if I should revise the numbers in my head for window treatments and the kitchen faucet (last 2 big things I need to buy).

All that is left is to physically paint the room. I got a call from the person milling the flooring material on Friday and he said it could be here as early as Wednesday. I’m thinking Friday, if I’m lucky, so that gives me a good 5 or 6 days to get the room painted. The goal is to be finished by Wednesday. I had wanted to paint after I had the floor in and sanded, but I’m not going to sit around and do nothing for a week, so painting it is.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Make sure the walls have "cured" before you sand the floor. If not, the sawdust might stick more on the walls. We sanded after painting and I just wiped the walls down with a damp cotton rag and got all the dust off easily that way.

And yes, good paint is expensive- I agree. Looking forward to seeing the color on the walls too.

Anonymous said...

I've decided that everything with home renovation is much more expensive than you plan on it being! I was never good at taking care of brushes, but have gotten better. I have the finishing book published by Taunton Press & they have some good tricks of trade. The best trick for keeping brushes in good condition is to soak them in whatever you're going to clean them with (water for latex, or paint thinner for oil based paints). The only thing is to blot them before you put them in the paint so the thinner (or water) doesn't drip on whatever you're painting. It works great and I've used the same brush for the past 4 projets. That's a record for me!

Becky said...

Yes, when we budgeted out our renovation loan we didn't put aside anything for paint thinking it was just chump-change compaired to the bathroom fixtures and kitchen cabinets. Wrong! We haven't kept track, but I bet we've spent approx. $2,500 on paint and supplies (just for the interior).

K said...

Yep, I was unpleasantly surprised by the price of the painting stuff I bought this week, too. Love that majolica green color.