ListWise

Saturday, December 31, 2005

In Between Storm

I only have 32% battery power left on my laptop so I thought I’d make one last entry.

We’ve been with out power for about 7 hours now and it is pretty much the whole town. A neighbor heard that a sub-station was flooded and it could be 2 days but I don’t think so. The Ferndale sub-station is near the Eel River but know exactly where the Eureka sub-station is and it is no where near a body of water that could flood it.

I had some more flashing leaks and tried to go to a hardware store to get more roof cement but every place is closed because of the power outage. Just with-in a few blocks of my house I saw 3 big trees down, a power pole in the street and numerous fences blown over. As I drove around to 3 different hardware stores I lost count of the number of fences, trees, and billboards blown over.

My neighbor Gary went down to where he works and borrowed a 10,000 watt generator. I few neighbors have hooked up to it to keep the refrigerators going but I’m across the street. However, because I’m still using my little mini-fridge I was able to carry it over to his garage and plug it in. Fortunately my heat, stove, and water heater are all natural gas so I can cook, clean, and stay warm. It could be worse.

The house held up well. I did have a half of tube of the roof cement left so I was able to patch the leak. This time it was on the back porch. While I was up there I noticed I had a clogged rain gutter so I took care of that as well. I had to pick up about 20 shingles out of my yard. They didn’t come off my house but someone close by has some serious problems.

3 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

I'm glad you all weathered the storm ok, and that your house did too! Hope you have power again soon!

~Kim

Jocelyn said...

crossing my fingers for you and your house (and Mortimer)!

K said...

Stay strong! :)