ListWise

Thursday, December 08, 2005

It’s All So Frustrating

Yesterday I pissed away most of the afternoon doing almost nothing of any importance what so ever. Finally around 4:00 I started to work on trying to get the doors hung. I got one of them up and it was too long. I knew it was going to be long but I thought I would be a little closer.

The rollers have adjusting screws on them but they are really more for leveling and not so much for moving the doors up and down. At most the screws will move the doors a total of 3/8 of an inch. Even if the doors were too short that wouldn’t accomplish much. When I got the rollers on the doors I was – as I estimated at the time – about 3/4 of an inch too long.

By the time I got the door up and discovered the long coming, as it were, it was well past dinner time so I called it a night. Today the plan was to fix the first door and hang the second door. Unfortunately the holidays reared their ugly head and I was forced to fly about the city searching for gifts that probably no one really wants anyway. They say, “It’s the thought that counts” and I seriously believe that this time of year it is only the thought that counts for a lot of gift giving because most Christmas gifts really aren’t that spectacular. There is a whole Land Fill category that may make up about 50% of all gifts given in the next 3 weeks.

So again I didn’t get to the doors until late in the afternoon. I took down the door and removed the rollers. I then trimmed off 3/4 of an inch from the top of the doors. This is wood that I added so I won’t be going straight to hell for cutting off this wood. Technically it is old wood because it is salvaged old-growth redwood, but it is old wood that I added. Maybe I’ll just get a high fever or stub my toe or something. I then reattached the rollers and re-hung the door. It was absolutely perfect. In fact, it was too perfect. The rollers were resting firmly on the track and the bottom of the door was resting firmly on the floor. Grrrr!! The damn thing wouldn’t budge and inch. I had tried to cut it too close. Very, very frustrating.

Again, I was suffering from hunger pangs by the time I got the damn thing up there and realized it was still…well, not too long, but not short enough either. So now TOMORROW I will take the door off again, remove the rollers again, and trim some wood off again. The one good thing about this is that now I know how much wood I need to trim off the doors so the second one should go much faster. With any luck tomorrow I will be able to say…


Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close. Doors roll open. Doors roll close.

No comments: