ListWise

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Formulaic Painting

I’ve been troubled over what to do with the gables. The main thing I want to avoid is painting them twice. They are just too damn high. I’ve already painted the second story siding and the first story trim twice because of color changes. Both of these changes were due to the Livable Green being too light. Do I make a third try with the Livable Green on the attic gables? If it doesn’t look right this time I doubt I will want to climb up there and repaint them. No, this is a one time shot. I’m not doing the gables over.

I would like to thank my two dear, sweet friends Anonymous and Anonymous for suggestions for the gables. However, I think I may have come up with a solution that will solve 2 problems. The first problem is, of course, what to do with 4 gallons of Livable Green. If I restrict it to the sunbursts and bay window brackets I can maybe see going through a gallon at most. Not good enough. The second problem is –as has been mentioned several times now – what color do I paint the gables.

I could go with the Clary Sage. Clary Sage has a proven track record of being a suitable color. That doesn’t solve the Livable Green problem though. Also, am I wasting an opportunity here if I go with the Clary Sage on the attic gables. The attic gables have different style of siding from the first and second floors, and they are a different aspect of the house. Should they not be set-off with a color of their own? Then today it came to me. It was another problem tackled by my subconscious.

I can blend the Livable Green with the Clary Sage to darken it just a hair. I can start out with small batches and test it before I commit to the gables. Once I have the formula down I can make as much or as little as I need. This will achieve many goals. First, it will use up the Livable Green. Second, the gables will be a different color. Third, and most importantly, I can get the color right before I climb up there and paint. Once again the subconscious mind has shown me the light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would go with the darker green that was used on the lower part.
Looks nice.