ListWise

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Trim Paint: Second Look

Painting trim is painstaking work. You only put on a few tablespoons of paint put it seems to take forever. I now have one coat on everything but the skirting. Tomorrow I hope to get a second coat on the trim I painted today. After that I have the skirting, door, and screen door. There is also the frieze and soffit way, way, way up at the top of the house, but I’ll discuss that another day.



I decided to keep the red on the sashes. After I got the rest of the casing and jambs painted I decided it didn’t look too bad. Also, the second story window sashes are in such bad shape I can’t see any point in putting more paint on them. These windows are by far the worst in the house. They have been beat by a southern sun for 111 years. The window sills on those two second story windows are the only ones that are not original to the house. When I bought the place they had already been replaced with two chunks of pressure treated wood (Ugly!). I replaced them again with redwood when I restored all the window sills 2 years ago with the crown molding.

Here’s a couple of close-ups. Most of the trim only has one coat of paint on it so it should look a little better tomorrow after a second coat. I painted the water table and the crown molding just under the flare with SW Fired Brick in satin latex. There is still a lot of work to be done. The goal is to be finished by Wednesday. That will be 3 weeks exactly for this section.



8 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Greg, the red looks really nice with the colors you've chose...I'm glad you decided to keep it:) It adds just enough pop and really compliments the shades of green.

SmilingJudy said...

ooooooh, ahhhhh. Looks very nice. I like it!

Ms. P in Jackson said...

It's looking great. I still can't believe you had to replace 800 of those octagonal shingles. Zoinks, what a job that must have been!

Ms. P in Jackson said...

It looks great. I still can't believe you had to make 800 of those octagonal shingles for the siding. Zoinks, what a job that must have been!

Greg said...

Hey everyone. Yes, I am pleased with it. Whew! It could have come out much worse.

Nick, the place next door is multiple units and I can walk up the back stairs for a bird's eye view.

Deb said...

i still say it needs some black ;)

Greg said...

Just for you Deb I'll put a black racing stripe down the side. :-)

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm so glad you kept the red in there. It's such a nice accent and the house would have been too monochromatic without it.
Not that I want to tell anyone what colour they should use :), but I haven't checked in in a week or two, and knew you were thinking of getting rid of the red, and as I was catching up on your Blog I was on the seat edge thinking "Did he? Didn't he?".

The house look a-m-a-z-i-n-g. And I think reversing the dark and light on 1st and 2nd floor perfect.

Cheers, Angus