ListWise

Friday, January 05, 2007

Duuuuu, My Name Is Greg

You need to picture me saying that while I’m slightly hunched over with a glazed look on my face, one finger up my nose, and the other hand scratching my butt. That’s about how I feel right now.

Two days ago I mentioned how I must put the toilet first, because the vanity would stick out to far and might block the door. I said that I was within and inch or two of the door on paper and I didn’t feel comfortable with those tolerances.

Well, it turns out it was more like 5-inches away. I was basing my calculations on a 30-inch wide vanity. I looked at so many vanities on-line and at other places and most of them seemed to be about 30-inches wide. When I actually got my vanity in my hot little hands I never bothered to measure it. Duh! It’s only 27-inches wide.

Yesterday I spent a good 30 minutes trying to squeeze a few more inches here and there and at the very end I actually measure the vanity. It was all a big waste of time. The bathroom set-up now goes vanity, toilet, tub.

The set-up is now officially chiseled in stone, or wood, I guess. I finished framing the wall, for the most part, and framed the built-in medicine cabinet, so there’s no turning back. The last thing to do is figure out how wide the cabinet in the corner will be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're doing it this way. I was a little worried when I saw the prominence of the toilet in your other layout. There's something unsavory about walking in with the toilet practically bumping into you the way it was.

Anonymous said...

Me too... I've always loved old bathroom design (altho I'm mostly a fan of 1930s "sanitary" bathrooms)... and last summer I was looking thru some home design books from the 20s/30s era. I came across a book of winning designs from a small house design competition in southern CA, and one of the criteria for bathroom design was that the toilet should not even be visible from outside the room when the bathroom door is left open. This seemed a little extreme to me, but I realized in looking through the other books that it was a pretty standard convention. So there's my random bathroom design fact of the day...

Randee said...

We have a fairly large bathroom upstairs but the toilet was installed where the door hits it as you come in and then there is a ton of empty space farther on in the room. Really poor design.
It's nice to see that some people acually think out their bathroom layout.

Gary said...

I'd be afraid to use that bathroom. I can't aford to lose 3 inches!