ListWise

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A Place For Everything

So this is what the placement of the vanity, tub, and toilet looks like.



This shot is taken standing in the door. Ideally it would be vanity, toilet, tub, but I put the toilet first for a few reasons. First, with the vanity first, the outside corner comes dangerously close to the door. The door opens in to the bathroom and swings right in front of what ever is first. When I placed the vanity first, and left enough room for the toilet to meet code, I was left with about a 2-inch clearance, and that was on paper. In real life, 2-inches can evaporate quickly. I have this vision of the last thing I do is hang the door and then find out it slams in to the vanity.

The other issue with having the toilet in between the tub and vanity is there is really no place to hang the TP holder. The wall opposite the toilet is too far of a reach, so it would have to go on the wall behind the toilet. That seems odd, or does it. I can't decide.

If I could overcome the TP issue I think I can steal a few inches from the tub area and move everything down 2 or 3 inches. That would leave me enough room to feel comfortable about having the vanity first. I have 24 hours to come up with a plan, because tomorrow I finish the framing and that means I will be framing for the in-wall medicine cabinet.

Oh, and a free standing TP holder is out of the question. I’m not a big fan of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TP is on the wall behind toilet in two of your vintage bath photos from December.

Greg said...

Yes, it is, isn’t it. I’m going to play with this tomorrow. Thanks!

Jocelyn said...

our tp holder is kind of behind the toilet- you have to reach back. It works fine. And we have ours set up toilet sink tub - which is how it was originally- if it's any consolation.

Don M said...

Hi Greg,
My TP holder is also on the wall behind my M Bath toilet; it works fine. The other two are on the side of the vanity or the side wall in the other baths. I recently re-worked my M Bath fixtures excluding a bidet the PO had wedged in next to the toilet. It allowed me to relocate the "throne" back to its original spot and leveled it as well. I use to feel drunk sitting at an angle!! Don