ListWise

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Neat Little Do-Hickey

I spent about 4 hours under the house today and it was sooooo much fun I think I’ll do it some more tomorrow. I’d say I got about 95% of the drains run under the house and about half the vents run above the floor. It took one more trip to Gary’s garage and one trip to the hardware store. I knocked over an almost full jar of ABS glue and was too embarrassed to go ask Gary for another one, so I went and shelled out $5.00 for a new can.

Gary stopped by to see how things were going. He said I mounted the drains too high off the ground, but this is not so much a drainage issue as it is an ease of work issue. I found out the hard way that it’s easier to hook everything together if it’s not so close to the joists. In the end it worked, so that’s what’s important. Tomorrow he’ll come over and we’ll tie it all in to the main sewer line. After that I just have to finish the copper under the house and the plumbing will be done. Wooo-Hooo!

And this brings us to the Neat Little Do-Hickey. They are called pipe insulators, I think. Before I explain them, here’s a few shots.





These things are great for running pipes under the house. You drill a one and three eights inch hole where you want the pipe to go. The little insulator as two flanges on it. You put it around the copper water pipe and press it in so only one flange is in the hole. It holds the pipe exactly where you want it, but you can still slide it up and down from under the house to fine tune the position. Once the pipe is connected to the rest of the plumbing you push the insulator in all the way and it seals the hole so no drafts or bugs can come up in the wall. Then screw it in to place and that pipe aint going no where. It is a great little invention.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Never seen them before, I'll have to keep my eye out for them. Nothing beats crawl space plumbing... except maybe crawl space insulating! Looking good, just makes me glad mine is done.

Greg said...

Ugh! I know, and thank God this is the absolute last of it. Everything else is done and there ain't know way I'm putting in a third bathroom.