ListWise

Monday, May 16, 2005

Lusting For Lustron

Until a few months ago I had never heard of a Lustron Home. Apparently about the same time Levittown was springing up like so many weeds there was a man in Ohio who had a revolutionary idea about building homes. I don’t know all the details exactly, but they were called Lustron Homes. Several thousand were built and are still scattered about the mid-west.

The thing that made Lustron homes unique was the materials used and the construction method. Every last piece of the home was made up of enameled steel panels. All exterior and interior surfaces were enameled steel. The homes came with many built-ins like book cases, hutches, bathroom vanities and they were all made of enameled steel. The roof “shingles”, gutters, walls, doors, ceiling - inside and out – everything was made of enameled steel. They were all made in a giant factory and shipped out by truck and rail. It was a revolutionary idea.

There was some story behind the whole thing, and as I said, I don’t know all the details. Apparently the man behind the idea got a lot of tax breaks and maybe some federal funding to start up the manufacturing plant. It had to do with the big housing shortage just after WWII. There was a scandal and things went arye (with the Federal Government involved – I don’t believe it). Anyway, the whole idea went the way of the buggy whip.

So, you may be asking, why am I bring up Lustron Homes at this point? Why do I lust after a Lustron Home all of the sudden? Why do I seem to be enamored with enameled steel? Well I'll tell you.

It's because they didn’t use plaster or sheetrock on the inside!!!

I’ve come to the conclusion that it is impossible to get a smooth wall the first time out. In fact, at this point, I’m sure there is either magic or witchcraft involved. Either that or it is a secret Communist plot to drive me insane. Yes, that’s it, it’s the Communists. It’s not over people. Start digging your bomb shelters now, before it’s to late!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never knew what they were called. There's one about a block away from us. It's probably more like aliens than communists.
"The truth is out there"

Derek said...

what happens when lightning strikes? Or if you have a short circuit? You'd have to do rust repair like a car, such an odd concept.