ListWise

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A Door Is Reborn

In my mind I read this as if it were narrated by James Earl Jones with the theme song from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

It was a year and a half of planning and more than 2 weeks in the making. They said he couldn’t do it on his crappy little $150.00 table saw and his $69.00 plastic router table, but he proved them wrong. music builds It has three rails, 2 stiles, and 2 raised panels. The panels have “Eastlake” style beading, the rails have a cove detail, and the door has antique cast brass pulls. Now the kettle drums - BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM. And now the horns come in as you scroll down to reveal the pictures.







To recap: I uncovered a long lost opening between the kitchen and dining room that was used to pass hot dishes and other things. Once I reopened the boarded up space I discovered the tattered remnants of a frame but no door. Based on the frame I rebuilt the door and frame from salvaged old growth redwood.

You won’t see the top half once it is installed. On the dining room side it will be oiled and shellacked to match the raised paneled wainscoting and other wood trim. On the kitchen side it will be painted. It should look much better once it is painted and oil/shellac. It will really bring on the detail. You can't see squat in these pictures.

7 comments:

Jocelyn said...

why would anyone ever eliminate a pass-thru anyway- it's such a convenience! Your door looks perfect-thanks for posting pictures. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice work. I especially take comfort that you did all this with fairly inexpensive tools--I've been looking with curiosity at the entry level table saws wondering if they'd cut it. Apparently they do!

Anonymous said...

Great Work...looks a lot like the one I remember having in a home we lived in briefly as a child in the UK. Lots of fond memories begging Mum for biscuits before supper through that little door. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous! Nicely done and I'm amazed that you were able to do it for so little money, especially since you're using Redwood (reclaimed or otherwise).

Kasmira said...

Looks great. I enjoyed the kettle drums.

merideth said...

verrrry nice...considering our tools are all less than contractor grade, i'm hoping we can expect similar success with our projects...oh wait...we might need the guy with the actual talent...

Greg said...

Thanks for the feed back. I forgot to mention the best part - I still have all 10 fingers!! Woo Hoo!