…We have lift off of the Petch House Cabinets.
I used a couple of saw horses and an old door to make a platform so I could be up higher. There were a few nervous moments but all in all it went well. No busted walls, windows, or bones.
The cabinets came out a smidge wider than I wanted so the trim is going to be tight on either side of the window. I started with the doors so that sort of defined the width of the cabinets. The rails (or are they the stiles) are only 2 inches wide and I didn’t want to make them any thinner for aesthetics reasons.
I could have trimmed the doors but that leads to other problems. You can’t only trim one side because then the panels are no longer centered. If I trim both sides I then have to do the mortise for the hinges again. Also, if you trim too much the latches look crowded, and I could always screw up. This leads to the issue of going against one of my basic philosophies of old house restoration: Never Cut Old Wood.
They also could use to be an inch or so taller. I made the cabinets tall enough but I didn’t mount them high enough. I will be able to over come this but it would have been easier if I had mounted them an inch or two higher. I’ll chalk that up to inexperience.
And Level! Whew!
Doors & Latches On