It was close, very close. I almost did not have enough crown molding to do the cabinets. If I had screwed up just one piece I would have run short. This crown molding was left over from when I removed the 2 story addition. The house has a flare-out where the first story meets the second story. The second story shingles flare out over the first story lap siding. To fill the gap under the flare there is a run of crown molding.
Last November when I rebuilt the flare after removing the addition I used some salvaged 2X4s to get the missing crown molding made. At the time I just made extra with out any real thought as to what I was going to do with it. The wood was free so all I paid for was a set-up fee and knife cutting. After that the cost was the same whether the mill ran 50 feet or 75 feet. It was very lucky that I had enough.
As planned I made a 3 part crown detail. I’m very pleased with how it came out. It was a lot of work, though. The 2 other pieces, besides the 1X4 crown, I made using the table saw and router table and more of that ever present salvaged wood. It is fun to create stuff but some day I’m going to learn to plan things instead of just walking in to the shop and start cutting. I had several design changes along the way that resulted in more work than was needed. I guess this is why I’m not a highly trained professional.
Cross Section of the House Flare
You can see the crown molding
Here are the 3 pieces that made up the detail
If you recall I said the cabinets where a smidge too wide. I had to get creative around the corner blocks. Remember: Don’t Cut Old Wood!
I got it primed. Tomorrow the first of 2 coats.