ListWise

Monday, April 10, 2006

The $75 Queen Anne Door

I went and got the brad nailer today. I bought my first Harbor Freight tool, so we’ll see how long it lasts. Harbor Freight tools a really inexpensive. I’ve known about their on-line site for a while but they opened a brick & mortar place near by recently. The nailer was only $14.99, which seems ridiculously cheap. Hell, the box of brads cost $7.00. It seems to work ok, so I guess that’s all that matters.

Anyway, on to the door. I decided to trim the quartered corner blocks a hair. Having it stick out from the door that ¼-inch or so would drive me nuts. It still has some definition, though, so it should look fine once it's painted. Getting the rays all nailed on is tricky because you want them spaced properly. I nail the 2 outside ones on first and then hold the other five on with one hand and nail quickly before they slip.

Still needs putty and paint




As Norm would say, “This was a fun project. Now here’s what we’re doing next week…”

6 comments:

Ms. P in Jackson said...

An excellent price for what will be a great door. I like how resourceful you are in your renovation.

Urban Queen Anne said...

Looks very cool!

amanda said...

Never ceasing to amaze me!

Gary said...

Next time you need something to hold in place to free up your hand, use caulk. I know us guys are always looking for an excuse to play with our caulk. You missed out on an opportunity this time.....
You wouldn't have a door that is 101" X 36" by any chance?

Greg said...

Caulk is a good idea BUT there is glue under the rays. The hand holds them until the nails are in, and the nails (brads) hold them until the glue sets.

Just checked the door room....sorry, no 101X36 doors.

K said...

So cute! You should do this as party entertainment.