ListWise

Friday, April 07, 2006

Pictures of My Stools!

I needed two stools for the kitchen island. Naturally, I went on-line first. I found a few places that carried a dizzying array a of stools. Who knew there were so many to choose from. Wouldn’t you know it, the ones that even came remotely close to looking like something I would want in the kitchen were like $300 each! That’s a lot for a stool. It would be nice if I could get some stool samples to try out first. You know, really squish your butt down in to the sample to see if it feels right. No stool samples, though. I couldn’t find any stools locally like the ones on-line to try out either.

Even if I could find stool samples locally like the ones on-line, $300 is a lot for a stupid stool for the kitchen. I’m way too cheap for that. Instead, I just went down to a place in town that sells unfinished pine furniture. They have very basic stools to chose from. My feeling is, if I’m too cheap to by really nice stools I should just get something inexpensive and try and make them nice.

The real thing to watch out for with inexpensive furniture is poor craftsmanship. Nobody wants loose stools in the kitchen. Could you imagine sitting on top of loose stools? No, you want firm stools. That’s the way to go. So, at the pine place I sat down on the stools and really wiggled around on them. They were surprisingly firm stools. And at only $25 a piece, I was very happy.

Once I got the stools home I decided to paint them with the same green paint I painted the cast iron sink brackets that help support the cantilevered counter. Here’s a picture of them. It’s spray paint and the paint is still fresh so the stools carry a bit of an odor, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Pee-Eww! I always assumed my stools wouldn't stink


I think they look nice. Who knows, maybe I’ll find something better at a garage sale someday. For now they’ll do. I’m thinking, though, that the hard seat might be uncomfortable, so I’m going to be on the look-out for some small padded seat cushions to put on them. You know, sort of a little stool softener.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention how quickly the sales girl was able to produce a stool for me at the Unfinished Pine Store. I went in and asked if I could see a stool sample and in a matter of seconds she plopped one on the floor right in front of me! It was impressive.

Anonymous said...

you funny.

Ms. P in Jackson said...

LOL!

Monica said...

I've been reading your blog for over a year now and I finally have to come out of lurkdom to reply to this post.

Your grasp of wit never ceases to amaze me!

Anonymous said...

Greg, you seem to be suffuring from an excresence of humor today. Your stools only need a cushion to handle the load dumped on it during regular use.

Greg said...

I'm glad everyone enjoyed my stools.

:-)

K said...

Hee hee. You had me at "picture of my stools."