ListWise

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Almost On

I didn’t get everything accomplished today that I had hoped but it was close. I sanded this thing back to the stone age first. It probably took about an hour. I then finished the edges with the router and what is called a “Lazy Edge” bit. It is kind of like a relaxed Roman Ogee.

To secure the top to the cabinets I made a series of tabbed blocks. The tabs fit in to a groove on the inside perimeter of the cabinets. If I had to do it over I would have made the groove wider. The tabs are a bit narrow. I’ve decided to use a spot of glue on each block to hold it to the cabinet. I will then screw up through the block and in to the underside of the counter. Not too far, though, I don’t want the screw to come through. This will call for careful measurements.

I was going to try and get the counter on tonight but it was getting late and I was getting hungry. Also, I need someone to apply pressure to the top of the counter while I drive screws from below. I will try and trick some unsuspecting neighbor tomorrow to help with this…”Hey Gary! You want a beer?”

Sanded & Sitting In Place


The Wavy Edge


Tabbed Blocks


Block In Groove

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

you really know how to put things together. How did you learn all this stuff? Or are you just teaching yourself as you go? (Steve does that too)

Anonymous said...

I love watching your progress.

Greg said...

Making it up as I go a lot of the times, but also from watching The New Yankee Workshop. I've mentioned the show before, and I am a big fan.

Really, though, I have learned a lot from watching that show. I'm still far from being a master woodworker, and some of my mistakes drive me nuts, but hey, 6 years ago I didn't even own a hammer. My first tool I bought right before I bought my last house, which was about 6 years ago. I bought a used skill saw at a garage sale.

Greg said...

Thank you for mentioning it Joan.