ListWise

Saturday, December 09, 2006

It Could Have Been Worse

After looking at these pictures, it’s hard to imagine that it could have been worse, but it could have been. First off, no one was injured in the fire. Second, the gray and white Victorian building to the left that didn’t burn to the ground last night houses my friends antique and salvage store. There is extensive water damage, but the building is still standing.







The one that burned was an 1870s building that had been remuddled so many times it looked nothing like an 1870s building. It was basically a stuccoed shell of what it once was. Still, it was not an entirely unattractive building, and it is sad to see it go.

The building housed 3 business, one of which was all set to open in the next week or so. The owners spent a lot of money turning an old video store in to an upscale deli and wine tasting bar. Something tells me it won’t be opening in the next few weeks.

While it’s true there is a silver lining in all this, the fluff piece I wrote yesterday seems all that more fluffy and shallow today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that "fluff piece" that you wrote gave me a big chuckle -especially the little presents on the ladder:) one. You are a brite spot in my otherwise tumultuous life. So I just wanna say

Thank you my friend

Karen

Greg said...

Thanks Karen, I'm glad you liked it. I liked the one by StuccoHouse about the strange food chain that seems to exist at her house.