ListWise

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Rib Not Lest Ye Be Ribbed

Yesterday I ribbed the 1920s carpenters for their apparent shoddy workmanship when they installed the 2 big windows in the then remodeled scullery. They didn’t nail the windows to the framing of the house. Instead, they nailed the casing to the windows, then installed the windows, and then nailed the casing to the house. The windows themselves aren’t actually nailed to the house.

After I posted that, a few people commented that their windows were done the same way. That got me to thinking that maybe this was a common way to do it. For all I know, this was the most common way to do it. Not only that, but the windows did stay put for 80+ years, so who am I to say it’s wrong.

With that in mind, I’ve decided to install the new stained glass window the same way. It will help out incase the weather is less than perfect on Saturday, which it probably will be. It will just be one less thing I have to do outside. We are scheduled for rain to start Friday evening with showers Saturday and “Few Showers” Sunday.

Today I scrapped, sanded, and primed the bottom three rows of siding that will be staying put on the outside of the house. I can use the interior window casing that I already removed to use as the new exterior casing for the stained glass window. It’s obvious it’s from the 1920s because it is clear, heart redwood, and it is not High Victorian fluted casing like the rest of the house. It’s just flat 1X6 stock. This of course means I have to strip off the googles of layers of paint. It’s probably a good thing I do some paint stripping because I’d almost forgotten what burnt paint smells like. We wouldn’t want that, now would we?

No comments: