ListWise

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Am I That Transparent?

Many of you seemed so sure I would use the gray grout instead of the white. You all seemed so positive I would scrape away the Antique White grout around the tub area and do the whole bathroom in gray grout. You all thought you were so smart, didn’t you?

Well, you were. I did the gray grout, or at least I started it. I got a late start and my grout float is toast, so I only got about 15% of the floor done. Doing the dark grout on the white tile seems to take a lot longer. I don’t remember changing the water in the bucket as often as when I did the white grout on the white subway tile.

Part of the problem is the grout float I have. As I said, it’s toast. When I did the subway tile I couldn’t find my rubber float so I went down to Ace to get another one. All the had were these cheap plastic ones with a sort of soft Styrofoam pad on them. It turns out they work very, very well, but the foam wears off quickly. They are inexpensive, so it’s no big deal to get another one.

The problem when the foam starts to wear down is that you can’t all of the excess grout off. This is compounded by the subtle unevenness in the height of the tiles. It takes forever to work at it with the sponge and it’s a real waste of grout.

So I stopped for the evening and tomorrow I’ll start back in with a new float. I think this is going to take longer than I thought. I may not finish until Saturday.

2 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

I didn't want to say it before when you were set on the white, but I'm relieved you used the gray grout. Gawd, I think I need to get out more...when I'm worrying about the color of grout someone I don't know uses :-)

Anonymous said...

Patience has brought this bathroom to where it is now. Patience is everything. You always do the right thing at the Petch House... there is no substitute for patience.