ListWise

Friday, June 22, 2007

Trimmed Out

I managed to get a few things done during the week. I finished pretty much all of the trim work in the bathroom, which really only amounted to trimming out one window, because everything else was done. It may not sound like much, but it included making a marble window sill (I think it’s called a stool when it’s on the inside), and I had to make the apron (the part under the stool), which entailed some router work. I also made the cove trim, which goes under the stool and in front of the apron.

On top of that, the casing is more of the 1895 casing I’m reusing from the front rooms. The pieces were thick with paint, so that meant more paint stripping. I then had to paint everything after it was installed. I do one coat or primer and 2 top coats. The whole thing was surprisingly involved.

The last thing to do in the way of trim is to make the counter tops for the 2 little built-ins. I was going to go with tile, but now I’m leaning towards marble. I have enough to do the little built-in but not the big one. Judging on what I’ve paid for marble in the past, I'm thinking it’s about $100 for the one counter. I don’t need to decide right now.

The paint on all of the trim is the SW Queen Anne’s Lace. It’s a very pale green and it’s a bit of a chameleon color. When it’s up against the darker green walls it looks very nice. On the lower parts though, it tends to get washed out by the white tile on the walls and floors. When looking at the door casing from top to bottom it almost seems to change colors. Not much I can do about it.

Here’s a few shots of the nearly finished trim. It was hard to get a good shot of the window because the light coming in prevented to flash from going off when I shot it straight on.







8 comments:

Becky said...

Greg- I finally just got caught up on the last nine months of your blog and I wanted to say the bathroom and exterior are beautiful. I too have that strange green facination, must be people with good taste do ;)

Anonymous said...

marble! marble! marble!

(p.s., i can't tell you how great the tile is looking. i love the sort of roman effect of the variegated white colors....)

Jocelyn said...

So beautiful!

Northland Stories said...

I've looked at that window in your previous posts and wondered what that was going to end up like and I must say I'm impressed. I love that millwork around the window. Very elegant. You definately have a future in the bathroom renovation industry.

Northland Stories said...

My 5 year old daughter Miriam is impressed too. (She's hard to impress, by the way!) :)

Anonymous said...

Damn man! You just keep doing the most incredibly great work! Lath and plaster walls and everything! Damn! Incredible work!

Anonymous said...

Greg - it's absolutely stunning.

Katherine said...

My God. That window.