Before anything, though, I got the heater hooked up and running, because this is, after all, June in Eureka. The days are pleasant, but the nights can get a bit chilly. This bathroom is on the west side of the house, and without the use of a heater, it takes a while to warm up.
The next issue was the door. I’ve been collecting period Eastlake doors for years, and I actually have more than I need. The problem is, I only have one 30-inch door, and it is majorly funkified. This thing may be beyond repair. The best thing it’s got going for it is the fact that it’s 2 and a half inches too short for the opening. After that, things go down hill quickly. It’s cracked, has chunks missing, and big dings in it. Still, it’s a 30-inch door so I hung it anyway. I like to know that the jamb is square and true before I put the trim on. It looks like I may end up cutting down one of my many 32-inch doors for the opening.
There is a mix of primer and paint in the pictures. I hope to start with the top coats tomorrow. It went pretty smooth putting the built-ins in. At this point the plan is to do hex tile counter tops. I would like to do marble, but I don’t have enough. I have enough for the small built-in, but not the larger one.
The casing and plinth blocks are original to the house. Some of the grand entry ways were reduced in size during the 1920s apartment phase. They cut down the trim to get it to fit to the newly reduced size doorways. I had new casing made for the re-enlarged openings, and this original stuff is perfect for things like this. In fact, this entire doorway, with the jambs, casing, and plinth blocks was the opening from the foyer to the front parlor before I took it out. The corner blocks are reproductions of the originals, so this looks exactly like all of the other doorways in the house.
I am really glad this is over. Next up will be the trim for the stained glass window. I’m doing a marble sill on that, so I need to borrow a friends tile saw to cut it. I’m not sure when that’s going to happen.