ListWise

Friday, June 29, 2007

That Sinking Feeling

That’s the feeling I had yesterday when I drilled the holes in to the floor for the sink legs. Each leg has a small post on the bottom that needs to fit in to a hole in the floor. The wall brackets for the sink need to be mounted on to the subway tile. That means more drilling through tile.

Months back I made a plywood template I would use to make sure the holes were drilled in the right place. The legs have a double off-set, so it was not a given exactly where the holes would go. This thing didn't exactly come with instructions. Or if it did, I'm sure they were tossed out 100 years ago.

After a little figuring, I found the sweet spot, but this meant the template had two sets of holes for the legs. Then later I switched to a slightly smaller vanity top so I had to reposition everything on the template. So now both the wall brackets and legs had multiple holes on the template.

Yesterday I was just a little foggy all day. It was just one of those days that I was a little out of step with the rest of the world. I almost put-off drilling in to the tile, but I really wanted to get the sink mounted.

I drilled away and wasn’t as cautious as I normally am. After I pulled up the template I really didn’t have a good mental image of myself double checking to make sure I got the right holes. It was all kind of a blur. I had this horrible feeling I had screwed up.

In the end, I didn’t, but there was a good hour from the time I drilled the holes until I tested the fit of the sink that I just had a pit in my stomach. After months of work and planning I thought I would either end up with a crooked sink or maybe some extra holes in the tile floor and wall.

You have no idea how relieved I am to have this thing installed. Tomorrow I’ll mount the sink and hook up the plumbing.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, I have been following along on your bathroom project. I have to say that is totally awesome work that you have done.

Tim said...

The bathroom looks awesome! Andi from Newborn House

Greg said...

Thanks! I can't wait to finish!

Anonymous said...

Greg-
It looks like you know what you are doing! good job.