ListWise

Monday, March 05, 2007

Screen Test

Ok, so this is the first official Petch House video. I shot a “before” video of the bathroom today and uploaded it to YouTube.Com. The quality is not great. I shot it on my little HP Photosmart 735 camera. The video is only 19 frames per second, as opposed to 30 frames per second for TV quality video.

Aside from poor quality, another draw back to it is the file size. The total running time is 2:13 and the file size is 31MB. It takes quite a long time to upload it and to have YouTube make it available. My camera shoots in AVI format, so other formats might have better compression, but I have no utilities for conversion, so this is something I’ll need to look in to if I plan on doing more of this.

For those of you not familiar with some of the things I’m referring to in the video, you can use the search box at the bottom of this page and search The Petch House for keywords: Frankenstein Hutch, Kitchen Island, Queen Anne Door, and Mortimer

Anyway, with out further ado, here is my directorial debut. I think this could be an Oscar contender, but I’ll let my peers decide.




Directors Notes: In the brief scene where the camera is aiming out the window you see Marcus walking by. He owns the property next door to me and is just a heck of a nice guy. He’s working with a group to try and bring back a historic railroad to the Humboldt Bay. The group has acquired an original 1890s round house and work shop with all of it’s tools and machinery, and a locomotive that used to haul logs around the bay 100 years ago. I’ve agreed to help him this summer to do some restoration work on the round house. Should be fun.

Also, I was trying to get Mort to express a sense of anguish one gets living in a house that is undergoing constant change and disruption, but that the cat just won’t take direction.

10 comments:

Mike said...

I think you just raised the bar on house blogging - Great idea! It won't be long before many follow your lead.

... great debut but I think Mort stole the scene

Anonymous said...

This is great! Will you show us your upstairs bathroom & the entire kitchen?

Ms. P in Jackson said...

I think your camera did a great job. It's nice to see it live and hear your voice!

Sam said...

Nice. That bathroom is really going to be great, between the salvaged tile, the authentic sink and toilet, the nice window, and the hand crafted cabinets with cool glass.

Our carrera counters were installed today. About to order that $%@#$%^&* bottle of $58 bullet proof sealer you recommended in your marble stain-testing post. Have you been using it on your island? How often? I've heard some say do it every three months, while others say once every five years is good.

J Auclair said...

So cool to hear your voice.

Greg said...

M&R, It's pretty cool isn't it. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Kathy, That's a good idea. Maybe I'll shoot the kitchen tomorrow since it's clean. The bathroom will need to wait.

Patricia, It's a cliché, but I think my voice sounds weird. It's almost like I have a bit of a lisp or something.

Sam, I forget what the directions say, but I think it was every 3 years or something. I haven't had any problems and I'm not the neatest cook in the world.

HiP. Thanks! I love the kitchen and you're welcome any time.

Joan, See above.

Anonymous said...

What title is your video under on youtube? I can't use quicktime at work but I can watch youtube. The house is looking great. Thanks.

Beth
Crazy Cat Lady

Greg said...

Beth,

It's called "bathroom before" directed by GregPetch.

It's becoming all the buzz in Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

Greg

Everything looks great. I am now inspired to do some work around our house that doesn't involve making the cats happy.

Love how Mort had to be in almost every shot. What a ham.

Beth

Greg said...

"Love how Mort had to be in almost every shot. What a ham."

I know, does he know I'm video taping?