ListWise

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Super Paint

I’ve stripped a lot of paint in my days, but I’ve never encountered any paint quite so tough to get off. Perhaps it is because this wood was the ceiling to a kitchen for 80 years or so. Maybe all the heat, grease, dirt and grime, coupled with all the moisture, changed the paint at the molecular level some how. It turned it in to some sort of Super Paint. No matter how much heat I apply to the paint it never really bubbles up. The work bench is smoking and the scrapper is starting to glow red but the stupid paint just sits there. Eventually, with great effort, I can manage to scrap it off.

Now, we all know from watching movies and reading comic books that when things are exposed to high levels of radiation they become stronger, bigger, and well, frankly, just better. It’s a known fact. Obviously I’ve stumbled upon some new method for creating a new breed of Super Paint. I’ve been on the phone all day to Behr and Sherwin Williams, trying to get someone in their R&D departments to listen to me. After 40 or 50 calls to each of them I’m no longer able to get though. There must be some problem with the phone lines. Maybe it is the hurricane. I’ll keep trying in the morning.

For now, here is what I was able to accomplish today.

Only 9 of 16 Boards Stripped


One of two Doors Stripped

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you striped the paint off of that door, did it fall apart?

Anonymous said...

I guess you can't stripe the paint off the door, you have to strip it. : ) But seriously, did it fall apart?

Greg said...

I really, really love it when people point out my silly typing mistakes. Someday I hope I have the time to cruise the internet pointing out other people's mistakes - and do it anonymously. To take the time to twice go through the Word Verification to point out someone’s mistake. Man, that is livin' large. That takes a really big person. Gosh, someday I hope to be as good a person as anonymous.

Becky said...

We had "Super Paint" in our kitchen. I myself always assumed it was some sort of chemical reaction between the 80 layers of paint on the boards.

K said...

In the entry hall I'm stripping, the paint on the baseboards and one side of the front door frame won't come off. Barely even bubbles. It's weird because it's only one fairly-recent layer of paint!

Anonymous said...

Greg--On my stairs there were six balusters that were replaced--all of them appear to be pine/fir (all the originals were walnut). The entire staircase stripped clean except for these six balusters--no matter what the paint won't come off...Someone suggested that this was Milk Paint and that it doesn't strip well with heat (chemical strippers don't seem to work well either)...What do you think? And if it is Milk Paint, how is it removed? I'd like to know.

Patrick

merideth said...

dude. peel away 7 it and forget it.

Beth said...

Nice. Super Paint. I wonder -- does it only come in patriotic colors?
What IS its kryptonite?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous here--
this post is a few days late, but I just checked the comments today.
That "striped" comment was not directed at you. I made the mistake in my first comment and corrected in the second. I'm sorry about that. I don't read any house blogs to nit-pick, So again I'm sorry,
Tristan

slateberry said...

The real milk paint company sells a milk paint remover.

It is odd (any annoying) how milk paint strips differently from other formulations--could be what you had there.